3.09.2012

The Master

When we first moved to Baltimore last April (almost at the one year mark!) we focused on getting furniture for our entertaining spaces... i.e. our living room and dining room. The places our friends and family would see the most. Our bedroom took the back burner and the mix and match furniture stayed. In addition to that, it has also become a catch-all for everything that doesn't fit in our closets and storage locker. All the clutter stresses me out and nobody wants a bedroom that causes stress. Our bedroom is my least favorite part of our apartment tour. I really want to reorganize everything and get it looking nice and inviting. Right now we have a mix of my childhood dresser and bedside table (cherry wood) and an IKEA dresser (birch) with hand-me-down bedside table (stained oak) which comes to three very different wood tones. Womp Womp.

You can kinda see the mix and match bedside tables on each side of this picture. We purchased the iron bed frame from Value City Furniture when we lived in Annapolis because we figured it would go with whatever wood tone furniture we ended up with. Plus I think it was on sale for $100.  The bed frame will do for now but I'm dying for a fabric headboard like this. Priorities people. We eventually want to upgrade to a king size bed since we didn't anticipate the bed hogging of our fur baby, Bleu, when we bought a queen size tempur pedic mattress (pre-Doggie adoption). But that's not in the cards until we move to our next place and make sure that our master will have enough room to fit a king size bed. So that can definitely wait. The bedside tables don't have to coordinate perfectly with our current bed frame but I don't want them to clash either.


On a smaller upgrade note, if you noticed in the picture we did not have matching bedside lamps. Recently, I bought the above lamps from Homegoods, which I love (the lamps and Homegoods). The additional lighting makes such a difference in our bedroom! Wasn't I talking about bedside tables? Oh, right...


What I'd really like to find are matching campaign side tables like these from Pottery Barn. They are way out of our price range ($299 each) but I figure I will just keep my eye open at all of my favorite discount stores and local consignment shops for something similar. Storage is important to me. I love Bombay chests but they aren't in our price range even with this option and I don't think it will look right with our bed frame. I found some good options at World Market but each of them has something I'm not crazy about.

This campaign end table isn't the rich wood tone I'm looking for and the storage is non-existent. I even found some non campaign options that I like.


I love the libraryness of the Preston 5 drawer table and the storage but it looks more like a fun accent piece more than something you want two of. Plus I'm not digging the color...


I like the Dark Mahogany Chase Nightstand but I'm not a fan of the glued on wood drawer pull. It's a classic shape- not campaign but there is room to stack books on the bottom shelf and one drawer. I like that it's marked down to $99 each. I would definitely need to see it in person. I wish the closest World Market wasn't all the way in Rockville, MD. I think I'll keep looking. I bet I can find something with more character in some of the local consignment shops. I'd love to get matching his and hers dressers too but that's just not in the budget yet. Plus I don't know if I should just wait and get a set (bed frame and two dressers) if and when we upgrade to a king size bed. I will keep you posted on what we end up doing. Also, a post on bedroom fabrics and linens will be coming soon. In the meantime, Happy hunting! 

P.S. Have you found any awesome furniture finds in consignment stores near you?


2 comments:

  1. Your lamps are fabulous! Have you seen the creative and inexpensive bedside tables on young house love's site? Google YHL guestroom tables!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The lamp were a steal! YHL is great and I really like their guest room side tables but I was hoping for at least one drawer. Thanks for the recommendation and comment!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving kind comments only (they make me giddy)!