2.28.2011

Curry Chicken Pot Pie

Photograph by Cedric Angeles for Bon Appetit

I made Alton Brown's Curry Chicken Pot Pie Recipe last night. It's a great and delicious way to clean out the freezer.  The recipe is below.

Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Serves: 6 to 8 servings

Ingredients

  • 4 cups frozen vegetable mix, peas, carrots
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 1 teaspoon curry powder
  • 2 tablespoons dried parsley
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
  • 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
  • 1 package puff pastry (I only used half of the package)

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Toss frozen vegetables with canola oil and spread evenly onto a sheet pan. I lined the sheet pan with foil for easy clean up. Place into oven and cook until golden brown.
In a saute pan heat 1 tablespoon of butter and sweat the onion and celery. In another saucepan, heat the broth and milk. Add 2 more tablespoons of butter to the celery mix and cook out the water. Add the flour and curry and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the hot milk mixture and cook until thickened. Add the parsley, salt and pepper. Toss with the browned vegetables and the chicken. Pour into a shallow baking pan, or a large terra cotta pot base, lined with foil, and top with 6 to 8 circles of puff pastry (I used a rectangular le creuset ceramic baker and I didn't bother with the foil lining). I cut a few slivers along the center of the pastry dough to create vents for steam to escape. Place into the oven and cook until puff pastry has browned and the mixture is hot and bubbly, about 25 minutes. The Hubby and I both loved this recipe. I am definitely adding it to my repertoire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving kind comments only (they make me giddy)!